Video: Bookmarking in Chrome
Have you ever found a website you wanted to view later, only to realize that you didn't remember the web address when the time came? Bookmarks are a great way to save and organize specific websites so you can revisit them again and again.
In this lesson, we'll talk about how to add bookmarks to Chrome, how to manage and organize your bookmarks and folders, and how to import bookmarks from another browser.
To add a bookmark:
You can save any page you're currently viewing as a bookmark.
- Click the Star in the Omnibox to save the current page as a bookmark. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+D on your keyboard.
- A dialog box will appear. Click Done.
- The bookmark will be saved to the Bookmarks bar.
To Use the Bookmark bar:
By default, any page you bookmark in Chrome will be saved to the Bookmarks bar, which will appear every time you open the New Tab page.
- Click the New Tab button or press Ctrl+T on your keyboard.
- The New Tab page will appear. The Bookmarks bar will appear just below the Omnibox. Click a bookmark to navigate to that page.
If you prefer, the Bookmarks bar can appear below the Omnibox at all times. Just click the Chrome Menu, hover the mouse over Bookmarks, then select Show Bookmarks bar.
While the Bookmarks bar is a convenient place to access your favorite bookmarks, it doesn't have enough space for more than a few websites. If you plan to use bookmarks regularly, you'll need to learn how to organize your bookmarks in the Bookmark Manager.
To open the Bookmark Manager:
- Click the Chrome menu in the top-right corner of the browser, hover the mouse over Bookmarks, then select Bookmark manager from the drop-down menu.
- The Bookmark Manager will appear. From here, you
can organize your bookmarks into folders, delete bookmarks and folders
you no longer use, and search for bookmarks you can't find.
To create a folder:
If you have many different bookmarks about one topic, you might consider creating a folder to keep them organized. New folders can be added either to the Bookmarks bar folder or the Other bookmarks folder.
- Click the folder where you wish to add a new folder. In this example, we'll create a folder to help organize some recipes in the Other bookmarks folder.
- Click Organize, then select Add folder from the drop-down menu.
- The new folder will appear. Type a name for the folder and press Enter. In our example, we'll type Recipes.
- The new folder will be created.
The Other bookmarks folder will also appear on the Bookmarks bar for easy access to all of your Bookmarks.
To add a new bookmark to a folder:
You can add new bookmarks directly to a folder when saving a bookmark.
- Click the Star in the Omnibox to save the current page as a bookmark.
- Select the desired folder from the drop-down menu, then click Done.
To add an existing bookmark to a folder:
You can also move any previously saved bookmarks into a folder.
- From the Bookmark Manager, click and drag a bookmark into the the desired folder.
- The bookmark will appear in the folder.
- You can open the bookmark from Bookmark Manager or the Other bookmarks folder on the Bookmarks bar.
To move a folder:
You can move entire folders between the Bookmarks bar and Other bookmarks folders.
- Click and drag a folder to move it.
- Moving a folder to the Bookmarks bar folder will place it directly on the Bookmarks bar.
To delete bookmarks and folders:
If you no longer use certain bookmarks or folders, you can always delete them.
To delete a bookmark, right-click the bookmark, then select Delete. You can also press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard.
To delete a folder, right-click the folder, then select Delete. You can also press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard.
You cannot delete the Bookmarks bar or Other bookmarks folders.
To search for a bookmark:
If you're looking for a specific bookmark but can't remember where it's saved, you can search for it.
- Type an address or search term into the search bar, then press Enter. Any bookmarks matching the search will appear.
If you've already saved a lot of bookmarks in another web browser, you can import those bookmarks into Chrome.
To import bookmarks:
- Click the Chrome menu in the top-right corner of the browser, hover the mouse over Bookmarks, then select Import bookmarks and settings.
- A dialog box will appear. Select the Browser and the items to be imported. In this example, we'll import bookmarks from Internet Explorer.
- Click Import.
- Click Done to continue.
- The imported bookmarks will appear in a folder on the Bookmarks bar. You can use the Bookmark Manager to reorganize these bookmarks if desired.